Pages

Thursday, February 2, 2012

House Posts

I've been in my home (my home!) for about a year-and-a-half and I have not yet posted anything about my projects.  Mostly this is due to the fact that the blog became a hobby after I became fed up with the sight of paint and brushes and put my house-prettying-hobby on hold.  Seriously, fed up.  It took me six months after painting the kitchen to do touch ups... and I'm still not done.  :(

When I first saw the house (after having loved and lost a few in the hot $120,000-market that is military/medical school San Antonio), I thought it was out of my range.  However, I took a shot and begged some extra down-payment moolah from my parents and became the proud owener (ok, co-owner with Wells Fargo) of my 6-paneled-doored, no-popcorn-ceilinged, extra-large-living-roomed, non-foreclosured, large-eat-in-kitchened, double-vanitied-master-bathroom home.  It's so random the things you start to appreciate as you house hunt.  I mean, really, 6 paneled doors?  Who knew I cared that much?

There are some things I didn't care for so much though... The empty backyard with its sad and lonely concrete slab.  The linoleum baths/laundry.  The blah beige carpet.  The pink and blue boys and girls rooms.  The mismatched black/white appliances.  The scratched white-washed cabinetry (you can't touch that up).  The white countertops.  The exterior colors.  The brass knobs and fixtures. 

While some of the fixes are large and being saved for the future (new flooring... exterior paint), there are some I've tackled already.  In the living room, I painted the trim and walls and ceiling and I installed new ceiling fans with ceiling medallions.  In the kitchen/dining, I painted the trim and walls and ceiling and cabinets and countertops (thats right...countertops...I can't afford granite).  I've also replaced knobs and light fixtures. 

Next up?  Master-land!  The closet (grey and chandeliered and organized), the bathroom (white and serene and de-cluttered with a faux tin ceiling), and the bedroom (light grey and serene with purple/yellow accents and a wood-pallet wall).  le sigh

Later... Turning the office into a more-useable craft/sewing room.  De-pinking the guest room.  Re-finishing the dining table and chairs.  Painting the guest bath.  Finishing the brick patio.  Landscaping the front walk. 

Posts with before/after pictures will be coming soon!